An exciting part of the dream to build your own home, and a primary aspect of the owner builder advantage, is the creative challenge – starting with the design process. To design your own home essentially means to take every aspect that contributes to good design into careful consideration. You can be thoroughly involved in the process whether you completely do-it-yourself, hire an architect, or find an existing plan and modify it to meet your needs.
To holistically design your own home, it is important to consider your personal and family needs as well as the particularities of your building site. In consideration of your personal needs, it is important to consider your emotional and spiritual requirements along with physical space requirements. People tend to thrive in an environment that reflects their personality.
Evaluating your needs and engaging your creativity is the beginning of the design process. An exploration of home building plans and ideas, along with consideration of the resources and assistance you need, is the next step.
The following list contains things to consider as you move into the design process:
- Home design programs – software to help you plan and design
- Energy efficient home design – aspects of consideration for a more comfortable and cost effective lifestyle
- Green home design – choosing healthy materials and sustainable practices
- Not-so-big house building principles – living better with less
- Small home design – principles to maximize use of space, materials, and energy
- Universal home design – designing your home for your changing needs over time